> Actually I've tried both the Mandrake and RedHat 6.0 installs and they do
> the exact same thing and hang in the same place.  Plus I wouldn't think
that
> pentium optimizations would cause a hang on the install before anything
> really happens.

If they both hang in the same place, that points to a different issue.
Possibly an incompatibility with something in your PC.

Pentium optimizations also imply Pentium opcodes which don't exist on the
486. Any program compiled with a Pentium specific compiler could fail. I
don't know which items in Mandrake are compiled specifically for Pentium,
but I suspect probably all of them are. That would seem to be the easiest
way, as it should only affect the make file.