IMNSHO, he is asking a good question!
First a word about the BeOS.
Save your money at least untul release 5 (better even 6).
I run version 4.5-1 but I would not buy it again,
because there are no apps that Windows or Linux dont have.

Linux is the OS of the future.
For a casual computer user however, it is next to impossible to manage.
As of yet, a practical manual does not exist. (This is the only weakness).
If you can not download it for free, maybe wait for another year.
You will save a lot of time and frustration.
Maybe after Corel releases their planed distro things might change,
but I would not count on them.

Win98 or a Mac are the best bet for the average user.
I work in the audio recordig industry and could not do my job without
Microsoft or Apple.

Having sayed all that I want you all to know that I hate Microsoft with a
passion,
but the worst is over. Thank god, becase the past ten years have been hell!
Via Magna

ps: Do your hands a favor, learn the Dvorak layout.