When I shut Linux down, it never unmounts the hard drive correctly. It just
hastefully shuts down. I might as well just hit the power button to shut
everything down. On the following page is a fix specifically designed to
address this problem...

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fupdates.php3

Here is what I did after downloading the appropriate files...

rpm -Uvh initscripts-4.16-30mdk.i586.rpm
rpm -ivh kernel-2.2.9-27mdk.i586.rpm

I didn't get any error messages when installing these items. But when I
shut down, the drive still will NOT unmount properly. Is there something
that I am supposed to do besides run the RPM command to install these items?

Postman
Mandrake 6.0 user