i have mandrake 6.0 and and awe64 gold soundblaster.  i am having
problems getting sound.  i only get souind under two conditions.  first
is when kde does its system sounds (startup, shutdown, etc.).  second is
when i run
'cat blah.au > /dev/audio'.  any programs such as x11amp or the kde
media player act like they are sending otu sound, but i dont hear
anything.
i cant run sndconfig, because it overwrites my isapnp.conf with a
default version that crashes with my modem.  does anyone know what else
sndconfig does other than write a isapnp.conf file?  i may have to set
this up by hand so that my soundcard will work.
anyone got any tips?  i am a computer musician and i _really_ need to
get this thing to make sound.  i had it working with rh 5.2, so i know
this is possible.

:P