Mount your distro cd and look under apps.  I believe there is an xserver for 3dfx there, just follow the instructions.  You may also benifit from searching this mailing list's archives, as this subject has been discussed before,  and there may be a more complete answer to your question.
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Mayer
Sent: Monday, August 16, 1999 8:58 PM
Subject: [newbie] Trouble with resolution

To whom it may concern:
    I recently purchased The Complete Linux Operating System and am having problems getting the screen resolution right.  I have a Gateway 2000 computer, the video card is a 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee AGP, Since I didn't see it on the list I selected unsupported card and then SVGA, after entering my monitor a million different ways the only way I could get it to work was if the resolution was so big that I could see anything but portions of the actual screen.  I then seleted VGA16 and it helped a little but still isn't near right.  My monitor is the Gateway VX900, it can take 1600X1200 easily.  I was just wondering if you could give me some help or feedback in this matter.
Thank you,
Paul Mayer