My understanding is that the main difference is packageing.  Having said
that Red Hat 6.0 uses a different kernel (2.2.5 I think).  Mandrake uses
2.2.9 which has a few security problems in it.  On the Mandrake updates page
it says that you need to upgrade the kernel in order to prevent a potential
network security flaw.

IF you are not going to be using a GUI (KDE integration is teh most
noticeable difference between the two diatributions) it probably doesn't
matter which one you use.