I did the same thing (I used WarFTP instead), but couldn't get anything
other than 'bad server response' from the FTP server. Only thing I could
think was that it didn't like the Win32 FTP program, or vice versa (a path
character discrepancy or the like, perhaps). Was the machine you connected
to Windows or Linux/Unix?