----- Original Message -----
From: Murray Strome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: LINUX Newbie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 3:34 PM
Subject: [newbie] 3-button mouse

> Thanks to several people on the list I was able to solve a KDE problem.
> Now I wonder if someone can help me to get my three button mouse to work
> properly.  (It operates as a two button mouse now).  When I did
> 'mouseconfig', it detected my serial mouse on COM1.  However, I had to
> select which one to use.
>
> My mouse is a Matsonic Model No. ADO-101.  Not knowing what to choose
> from the table, I picked 3-button generic (serial).  I did not select
> "Emulate 3 button mouse" on first try, but did later.  Both selections
> resulted in the mouse acting as a simple two button mouse (the centre
> button does not work, nor does pushing both buttons at once).
>
> Murray Strome

The generic selection should work for most mouses.  You should never select
'Emulate 3 button mouse" when you have 3 buttons.  Unlike Windows, the
middle/third button is not for double-clicking.  In linux, when you
highlight text, it is automatically copied.  The middle/third button is used
to paste that text.  It takes a little getting used to when you are
accustomed to the double-clicking function.