On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, John Aldrich wrote:

> I've got a dual-processor Pentium Pro 200 mhz system. I'm installing
> Mandrake 6.0 on it. I plan to upgrade the kernel, etc after installing from
> the CD. Which RPM files (specifically) should I install and in which order?

You generally need only one of the kernel RPMs (and
kernel-source/kernel-headers if you plan to do development).
Which one you need depends on your system:

kernel-2.2.9-27mdk:
        normal kernel for systems with one processor
kernel-fb-2.2.9-27mdk:
        kernel for systems with one processor with framebuffer support
        compiled in. Framebuffers are a kernel way to access the graphics
        card; at the moment, almost no package makes use of it.
kernel-smp-2.2.9-27mdk:
        normal kernel for systems with more than one processor
kernel-smp-fb-2.2.9-27mdk:
        kernel for systems with more than one processor with framebuffer
        support (see above)

You NEVER need to install kernel-BOOT, because that's used to generate
installation boot disks only.

LLaP
bero