>On a PC with and Intel/Intel clone chip you can have 4 real partitions.
>With that said, you are not limited to 4 partitions.  You can also have
>3 partitions and one extended partition.  The extended partition is used
>to set up logical partitions(or logical drives if you are coming from
>the MS-DOS/Windows world).  Your choices there are relatively unlimited.
>
>For example, I currently have 3 drives in my system.  My 13 Gig drive is
>currently set up with 3 real partitions (hdb1, hdb2 and hdb3) and one
>extended partion hdb4.  hdb4 is broken up into 5 logical partitions
>(hdb5, hdb6, hdb7, hdb8 and hdb9).  All the partitions are approximately
>1.5 gig in size except one which is 2.5 gig and set up as the mount
>location for /home.  Note, you never access the extended partition
>directly but always through the individual logical partitions.

   I have read that you can have 4 real partitions but I have not been able
to do it. What tool will alow you to do this? I have tried fdisk from win98
and disk druid in the install. Does fdisk under Linux let you do it or do
you have to have something like partition magic? I also have made a
partition duing win2k install. I had 1 partition at the time for win98,
added 1 more for win2k in the install and it made an extended partition
then in the install for linux using disk druid it made all my partitions in
the extended partition so I have 1 real and 1 extended with several in it.
Now all I need is Be OS and dual boot all 4 :).
Later,

Aaron Winters, Electronic Imaging Manager.
Garner Printing, http://camalott.com/~garner
http://camalott.com/~kaw