Dear Steve:

   You are right about # being the beginning of a comment.

   However, the combination #! indicates that an executable will follow
setting up a new shell to work with.

   For instance, if you run the script from CSH or TCSH all the command have
to be CSH based.  If you add the line '#!/bin/sh' at the beginning of the
script, it will start a Bourne Shell within your shell and then will execute
all the commands that follow.

   I hope this helps.

   Bye,

        Gabriel