Richard,
Try doing a ctrl-alt-backspace when you get into X. This will bring you back
into a console, because it cancles the X gui. Now, make sure you are in root,
because XF86Setup wont work if you are not. Just type XF86Setup, and watch
the caps, caps in linux are diffrent characters than normal lettering. Type
this in even if you cant see what is going on. If you know the verticle and
horozontle frequencies for your monitor just select them from the list.
XF86Setup has a nice looking GUI to use, so dont think that this is hard :)
Also, for your video card try to locate it in the list. And if its not
listed, than try to find a card that best matches yours. (some people might
argue w/ me on this). Click on the Probe button when you are in the vid card
screen. Then just configure everything else. (ex. mouse...) Make sure you
select smaller resolutions like 640x480 and a depth of 16 bit. Then, save and
try to run X one more time. I hope this helps

Jerrud
ICQ:13978481