Hi all-

There's been lots of discussion here about kernel upgrades, and it seems
to be a pretty daunting task to me, as a relatively new linux user but a
pretty confident and competent computer user in general.

My case is that I'm running Mandrake 6.0 and would like to upgrade the
kernel to get rid of some of those mount/unmount errors that have been
described here already. Is the best upgrade for me the one at cooker
(kernel-2.2.11-2mdk.src.rpm), as opposed to the multitude of files I find
at kernel.org? Is it preferable for me to stick to a Mandrake release of
any given kernel?

I guess what I'm looking for is a slightly more hands-on howto (I have
read the kernel howtos, and what keeps me from simply following the
directions is that, knowing how crucial the kernel is, I just don't want
to botch it), and at this point, there seem to be an awful lot of starting
places (cooker, kernel.org, the new cassini test, and so on). Those of you
who are familiar with this, can you offer a little guidance? I don't need
hand-holding so much as just an indication that if I, for example, start
with the cooker kernel, I'll be on the right track.

Thanks much-
- alan

/ note my new email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] /