On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Alan  Schussman wrote:
> My case is that I'm running Mandrake 6.0 and would like to upgrade the
> kernel to get rid of some of those mount/unmount errors that have been
> described here already. Is the best upgrade for me the one at cooker
> (kernel-2.2.11-2mdk.src.rpm), as opposed to the multitude of files I find
> at kernel.org? Is it preferable for me to stick to a Mandrake release of
> any given kernel?

Given that Cooker is under development, not exactly kosher Mandrake 6.0,
I'd say that it's safest to go with the 2.2.9 RPMs from the Mandrake
Update icon on your KDE or GNOME desktop.  Now, the 2.2 kernel should be
stable and quite usable in all it's incarnations, and generally the bigger
numbers are better than the smaller ones (bugfixes, etc.).  There probably
wouldn't be any problem with using the 2.2.11 kernel from Cooker, though-
the choice is up to you.

You should know, however, that the .src.rpm file will NOT install the
kernel.  It will install the kernel source, from which you may compile
your own.  If you feel comfortable doing so, then go for it.  If not,
well... you can always keep your old kernel, and boot to that if you have
problems.  Or you could install a kernel binary RPM from Cooker
(don't know which one, I haven't looked.  I'd image it's called
kernel-2.2.11-2mdk.rpm, though).  Given the profuseness of documentation
on the subject, you should be able to find out almost anything you want to
know (about downloading source, compiling & installing, not about
Mandrake kernel RPMs).

-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>