----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 1999 9:09 PM
Subject: [newbie] hdd problem

> After several attempts to load and run Linux-Mandrake 6.0 I have the
> following problem.
>
> Program hangs-up at line  "Starting Hard Drive optimizations for hdh"
> And it just sits there.

Edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit or /etc/rc.d/rc.local (I forget which one
it is in - the first, I think) and comment out the section that relates to
the hdparm command.

You can then experiment with it on each individual drive and put the
specific commands back into the script file if you desire.

The "universal" optimisation script is getting confused about your CD-ROM
drive. Help it out.

Hoyt