Trojans are programmed disquised as other programs.  The user thinks
they are running one thing while underneath the program is doing
something else, usually something you'd rather it didn't.  They are
executables so aren't involved in the boot up.  That said, it is not
beyond a trojan, when executed, to tamper with your mbr or anything else
it wants to.

Ken Wilson
First Law of Optimization: The speed of a nonworking program is
irrelevant
(Steve Heller, 'Efficient C/C++ Programming')