Westbrook wrote:

> Hi Rib,
>
> I was kinda hoping to use something from Gnome, but anyway I did
> notice that late last night (about 11:30) and started playing with it.
> This is what I came up with:
>
> When I tried to set it up as a normal user, these errors popped up:
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> pppd is not properly installed
>
> the pppd binary must be installed with the SUID bit set. Contact your
> System Administrator.

As root:

        chmod +S /usr/sbin/pppd

>                             ==OK==
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I press "OK" and this one pops up:
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
> kppp has detected a 'lock' option in /etc/ppp/options.
>
> This option has to be removed since kppp takes care of device locking
> itself. Contact your System Administrator.

Use your favorite editor to remove the line reading 'lock' from
/etc/ppp/options.

>                     ==OK==
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I press "OK"  and the dialer comes up. I click "Setup" then set the
> modem (ttys3 or something like that. I am back in Windows to send this
> so it is from memory and what I wrote down) then I attempt to Query
> the modem and I get this error:
>
> Sorry, can't create modem lock file.

As root:

        chmod 777 /var/lock

> All the above happens whether I am logged into KDE or Gnome. If I log
> in as root (and it doesn't matter if I'm using KDE or Gnome), I do not
> get the first error "pppd is not properly installed......" but I do
> get the second error "kppp has detected a 'lock' option in
> /etc/ppp/options....." I press "OK" and the dialer pops up. I choose
> setup and tell it where the modem is (ttys3) then 'Query the modem' it
> finds it just fine. I can even log onto the net and surf to my lillo
> hearts content.

That's because root can read and write anywhere and anything he so
desires.

> Can anyone tell me what SUID is? I did look at the properties of that
> 'options' file and tinkered with the permissions (didn't seem to help)
> and I noticed the option "set UID" (would this be SUID?). I checked it
> and the one below it but the errors still came up. Also, do I need to
> delete the 'options' file or just edit it and remove the line that
> says "lock". Actually that is the only line in there (I opened it in a
> text editor).

SUID means to 'set user id' to the user who owns the file whenever it is
run.  It's a way of offering privileges to users that they typically
wouldn't have.

The lock option means that it writes a lock file when PPP is running.
This prevents another PPP from trying to start while the first is still
running.

If 'lock' is the only option in /etc/ppp/options, you can safely delete
it.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator