As a newbie there are a lot of things about Linux and computers in general
that I do not yet understand - please bear with me.

I have a query about the pros and cons of running multiple processors.  I
don't know about anywhere else in the world but in Australia the new Abit
dual-Celeron boards have hit the shelves.  The price for one of these boards
packing 2 Celeron-400 processors is considerable less than that for a
Pentium 3 - 550 with board.

Now I understand that not all programmes work with multiple-processors,
however I understand that in a multiple-processor setup one program may be
run on processor A, while another is being dealt with by processor B.  No
doubt this is a major over-simplification.

I therefore have a myriad of questions.

1)      What standard Linux programmes take advantage of multiple-processors
(ie GIMP, X-Windows, KDE)
2)      Do productivity suites benefit from multiple processors? If I am
running Applix and have several seriously big spreadsheets, a couple of
word-processing documents, etc will there be an increase in performance over
a single processor - or will performance be negligible?
3)      Do programmes such as Blender take advbantage of multiple CPU's (not
that I've used it yet but I would like to play with it a bit)
4)      Would a dual-Celeron setup give me an overall better performance
than the more expensive Pent-III?  How noticeable would it be, and to what
use is a multiple CPU system best put?

I am starting to use a hard-disk recording system called Slab.  This program
allows the various processses of recording, mixing, FX processing and GUI to
be distributed over several CPU's, yielding a performance increase.  The
author (Nick Copeland) said that this setup has not been tested on a
multiple CPU system - so don't get one just to run Slab.

As I am potentially in the market for a new system if I can get better
performance from dual-Celerons on other programmes I run, I may as well save
the money and impress my friends running Win98 with a system that really
rocks.

On a side note the new Abit board comes with DMA-66 controllers.  IF I
purchased a DMA-66 enabled hard drive and a DMA-66 m/board will Linux run
okay?  I think DMA-66 is not scheduled until 2.4.  Could I set the board for
DMA-33 until 2.4 is released?