On 29 Jun 2002 17:30:49 +1000, Michael Biddulph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 13:55, Dennis Myers wrote:
> > I have set up privoxy a couple of times in konqueror and each time I
> set it I
> > can no longer connect to the internet at all. " could not connect to
> host
> > 127.0.0.1, try again later"  Disable the proxy server and all works.
> Yes I
> > have RTFM.  According to the manual I should have no problems setting
> up and
> > using privoxy, but as usual the manual has left something out that is
> > important to my configuration.  Anyone had this kind of problem and
> how does
> > it get fixed? Sometimes I need to have my hand held.  TIA
>
> I installed and used privoxy for a day or two last week. It
> worked...sort of. Didn't lose my net connection but it is very fussy as
> to what sites it will connect to and load. I had to "try again" for six
> out of every ten sites I went to. Too annoying to be really useful so I
> wiped it off.
>
> I think it will be really useful when it is developed further, but right
> now I'll pass on it.

I've been using Privoxy for about six months and I've had very few problems. The
error given above should not really have anything to do with the proxy. The IP
address that is causing the problem, 127.0.0.1, refers to yourself. When you
communicate with 127.0.0.1, the network messages are 'looped back' to you, and
you communicate with yourself.

In your browser proxy settings, there should be a text box titled something like
'No proxy for'. In this box, enter 'localhost' (without the quotes). Save the
settings and reactivate Privoxy. Make sure your browser is set to use Privoxy as
a proxy. Now everything should work as it should, minus the advertising on Web
pages.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers and deluge
the hobby market with good software."
  -- Bill Gates, 'An Open Letter to Hobbyists', 1976-02-03