Zlatko Savic wrote:

> Hey everyone,
> my question is simple but solution might not be.
> I have installed some time ago MD 7.2 and have only "/" and "/home"
> mounted on two partitions. I need to enlarge my "/" (root) partition
> because I continue adding applications but there is not much space
> left. Should I simply use Partition Magic and enlarge it, or maybe
> create another partition and mount it on "/usr" or "/etc" or any other
> space-consuming partition?

Here's what I did.

I did tar.gz backups of both / and /home partitions. Copied them to
spare space on my Windows partition (one of the few uses for it these
days), also backed them up onto cdrw (belt and braces). Then did a
re-install of MDK 7.2 (since migrated to 8.2), adjusting partition size
- transferring space from /home to /  during this procedure.  Having
completed all that, I restored the backups. All accomplished in about
half a day.  Experts may know of a shorter route.

--
Graham Watkins

For me, morning begins when I realize that the soft warm body curled up next
to me is a cat. (Kinky Friedman - Frequent Flyer)

Registered Linux user number 265254      http://counter.li.org