Alastair wrote:
> There's an easier way from KDE - do Alt-F2 then type ksnapshot. The
> snapshot is grabbed immediately you press Return, then the ksnapshot
> window appears and you can do what you like with it.

This is helpful . . . however, my original question was: is there any way to
do a "Print Screen" in Linux . . . >> which would be comparable in
simplicity and ease-of-use << . . . to the way it works with MS windows?

Again, I want to emphasize that I am definitely pro-Linux, however when
something as useful and basic as Print Screen works as well and efficiently
as it does under MS windows, then I would hope that the Linux community
would be eager to develop an equal or superior functionality for Linux.

In this case, it seems that what has been suggested for Linux thus far is
not nearly as simple and efficient as as the MS Print Screen feature.

Simplicity and easy of use is not subjective.  It is determined by how few
steps (keystrokes and separate manual operations) are required.

In the case of MS Print Screen, there are only two steps:

#1. Press the Print Screen button.
#2. Press "paste" in any application program in which one desires to place
the captured image.

I use it numerous times almost every day, capturing screen prints and
pasting them in LView (the most easy-to-use, versatile, graphics tool I
have), or in Paint or in Paint Shop Pro or in Pagemaker or in any other
application program where I can quickly and easily crop, resize, or edit the
captured image.

For comparison, using Ksnapshot with Linux, there are literally dozens of
steps and keystrokes involved in saving a captured image to a file then
opening that file within any given application program.

Why is it not possible, with Linux, to use the Print Screen key to simply
capture a screen image into memory (as MS clipboard apparently does) so that
it can be pasted, from memory, into any given application program without
having to go through all the extra steps of saving the captured image to a
file first and then several more steps and keystrokes to import the saved
file into any given application?

Surely there must be a way to do this.

Joe