> What you described involves more than 11 separate steps ...
>         and then I still don't know what to do
>         to crop the captured image to just the portion I want:

Well, we'll leave cropping the image for now - one would still have
to do that step even in windows, unless you want the whole screen, or
the screen region you saved is off a little bit.

Using gimp just to do a 'save screen' operation seems a bit
excessive. There are other tools avaeilable to do the job - in the
past, I use the little utility 'xwd' to dump the contents of the
screen. Of course, even then you have to convert the data from the
X window dump fotrmat to something more accessible, such as jpeg or
tiff. Using gimp makes sense if you are doing many other operations in
gimp and need a screen shot.

You might want to do some experimenting, but it seems that:

# xwd | xwdtopnm | pnmtotiff >wowie.tiff

works well to create a tiff file of the screen contents. You can use
other tools as well to generate the desired file. You just need to
use the mouse in the xwd process to define the screen region - the other
progs then take over to do the conversion in parallel.

Saving an entire screen image (1280x1024x24 color) on an Athlon 1ghz
is maybe 1 second or so.

Note that the ppm/pnm etc files are part of the pbmplus series, which
can pretty well convert files of any graphics format to any other one,
with a lot of extra options. Compression to jpeg can be done by
cjpeg, which seems to not be around. It's not on my Mandrake 8.1 - what
happened to it? I remember having it before :(.