Civileme, your instructions worked quite well and SO6
is behaving nicely on the installation I tried them on.
MUCH THANKS!

HOWEVER,  uninstalling SO6 took gnome and a number  of
other things with it,  Is there any way to uninstall
the SO6  without losing so much else in the process?
I still have one more to do.

Hopefully,
Bob

(SNIP)