----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles A Edwards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 8:01 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] recent 8.2 install system lock-ups

> On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:31:58 +0100
> Alastair Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On Friday 05 July 2002 7:20 pm, magnet wrote:
> >
> > > I have installed Mandrake 8.2. The computer runs 24 hours solid, but
> > > lately I have been coming in from work and the system is
> > > unresponsive. I cannot click on anything, the keyboard appears to
> > > have no effect but i can still move the mouse pointer around the
> > > screen and the clock is still showing the correct time.
> > > Any suggestions how to get this install running as smoothly as 8.0
> > > will be appreciated :)
> >
> > Perchance do you have a USB mouse attached to a hub? If you do, move
> > it to a USB port attached to the motherboard. Also, if you have a USB
> > keyboard, use the PS/2 connector instead.
>
> Another cause has affected many AMD system in 8.2.
> If your system is AMD add to the append line in /etc/lilo.conf
> mem=nopentium
>
>     Charles

Hi Charles,
I have a Gigabyte GA-&IXE4 mobo, 1.2GHz Athlon combo.
This is my lilo.conf file.
Should i add your line to both append lines like below?

Boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/uk.klt
lba32
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=linux
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi mem=nopentium"
    read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=failsafe
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi mem=nopentium"
    read-only
other=/dev/fd0
    label=floppy
    unsafe