Hi all and Charles,

Confession time here and a possible lesson for anyone else reading this
having weird problems.

Due to my computer being in a custom made tower, I have been doing some work
on it lately and it seems I slightly dislodged the HDD lead from the mobo!!!
It allowed booting up [just] but maybe the heat build-up had some effect by
the end of the day causing the lead to lift enough to break the connection
on a few data lines. Sorry to have wasted everyone's bandwidth with this
"problem".

Charles, I added that line as you said there were issues with AMD and 8.2 as
it may avoid problems I might have encountered further down the line. Many
thanks for your suggestion .

regards
magnet.