On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 08:09:44 +0100
Dave Conroy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>

> My original query was about separate Win2000 and MD8.2 hard drives and
> LiLo as boot manager. I want to remove the MD8.2 hard drive and site
> it in a separate box so I can play around learning Apache. I want my
> Win2000 (single partition) to remain happy and safe as I run my
> business pretty much off it!!!!
>
> Anyway, I'm not sure that my original query has been answered so far
> ... or rather I don't yet feel comfortable about carrying out some of
> the suggestions made. So, did you have a similar set up and after
> completing where you left with a happy Win2000 disk? If yes ... PLEASE
> let me know exactly what you did.

Dave

When I use a separate hd for each OS after installing Win I move that
drive to slave, connect the other drive as Master and install Mandrake
to it.
Lilo will pick up the boot record for whatever version of Win it is.
I personally have dine this with 98, ME, 2K and XP.
The big benefit is that the boot record on your Win disk is never
changed or altered.

If your drives are Win-master and Mandrake-slave and you wish to restore
the 2K bootloader.
IF you only ran the Mandrake installation once and you have not upgraded
your kernel and run lilo, then the best and safest way to restore 2k is
to boot to linux and run:
 /sbin/lilo -u

This will restore the Last saved version of your MBR, which if you
answered no to the above question will be your 2k boot record.

Before you do anything make sure that you have current versions of your
2K Rescue disk and .etc.
2K can be very fickle.
It will not auto overwrite the MBR when installed nor will it auto
generate an MBR if none exist.

    Charles

No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection
                -- Murphy's Military Laws n°64
Charles A Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]