if you had error messages not seen before 'after' having a successful install
go south on you then perhaps you have a hardware failure on the cards?, that
would explain why you 'lost' the install that was working,

what you described by the way seemed to be an install with 'autologin'
selected, my system shows the prompt for a brief time and then presents me a
graphical login screen, if i had autologin selected then i would see the
prompt for a short period while X launches and then i would be straight into
kde - my default desktop - this can be changed from the mandrake control
panel under 'boot config'  but you need to have a working system for that:-)

how about just wiping the hd that you wish to put mandrake on completely and
starting again with a text install since if i read aright that worked for
you, then if you get just a prompt as you described at one point then either
$startx will work for you, or $Xfdrake can be run from a command line to set
up X for you

bascule

--
'The gods,' he said. 'Imprisoned in a thought. And perhaps they were never
more than a dream.'