* John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020711 07:31]:
> My family often say I'm too curious.  I found the name interesting.
> I hadn't thought about man python, as it wasn't a specific programme, I
> hadn't thought about looking for perl there( yes I spelt it wrong)

The   man   program looks for a manual for a given command.  Try

man man

for a manual for man  ;-)

Not everything has a manual.  There is also   info   which I consider
awkward and unfortunately, some programs have an old man file that
tells you to consult info for more information.  Which often is the
same as what you found in man anyway.  There is MUCH more information
available for GNU/Linux stuff than for Windows stuff (unless you have
an unlimited expense account for books), but it IS a bit difficult to
locate, since it's scattered about.

> these various flavours they are all variations of C, C+, C++ , I
> guess. They all do something better in some way and that is why
> programmes use them.

Perl is not a variation of C, although there is a lot of similarity in
their syntaxes, the rules about how you construct statements,
variables, etc.  Many modern computer languages are very C-like.

One difference (warning ... gross oversimplification follows) is that
C (and its varieties like C++) are COMPILED.  This means that someone
writes source code, in plain ASCII text, and then a compiler creates
binary code which can be executed.

Perl, Python, and many others are INTERPRETED, which means the ASCII
source code is read and interpreteted by a program (named perl, in the
case of Perl) and executed from that.  Thus C can be much faster than
Perl, at least for certain things ... you wouldn't want to write a
video driver in Perl.

The speed differences are much less than they used to be, because
interpreted programs like Perl, Python, and PHP actually compile the
scripts into tokens before executing, and the tokenized code can do
many things almost as fast as compiled code.

So why use an interpreted language?  Well, most programmers would
agree that it's a lot quicker to develop a short program in Perl or
Python than in C.  It's generally a lot easier to learn (someone will
of course disagree with this).

I would encourage anyone to at least dabble in programming.  Learn at
least some BASH ( man bash ) because it will help you harness the
power of Linux.  Play with Perl, Python (some think it's better for
learning ... I haven't really tried it), or even JavaScript if you do
any web page designing.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz