On Wed, 08 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> I'm still struggling along with my Canon BJC-2000. After first believing
> it simply must be a winprinter, I planned to sell it to a friend.
> Researching what new printer to get, I checked the database at
> http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi and saw that the
> BJC-2000 is listed as "mostly" compatible, so I'm trying to get it to work
> at least a little.
>
> I have it set up properly in printtool, according to the info from the
> compatibility database: set to the proper device (/dev/lp0) and using the
> correct driver (600-4000). However, when I try to print test pages, I get
> nothing: Trying to print text gets me an immediate error message saying:
>
>       Error printing test page to lp
>       Reason: lpr: connect: Connection refused
>       jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>
> What is that telling me? How do I fix it? The other test, postscript,
> doesn't get errors from printtool, but klpq tells me 'waiting for lp to
> become ready (offline ?)' - but I think the printer's online (silly new
> printers don't have control panels) and that error's related to the lpr
> problem.
>
> I try to run lpr at the shell prompt, and get the same lpr error as above.
> I'm puzzled. Also, a note that may be important: I can't use lpc, either.
> I can get an lpc> prompt, but trying to make it actually do anything dumps
> me out with a segmentation fault. If I run 'lpc start lp' I get an error
> similar to the above, saying "lpc: connect: Connection refused. Couldn't
> start daemon."

You should (at this point) manually start the printer
daemon, lpd. Go to a console prompt, su to root and run
"lpd" (minus quotes) and try again. This should, most
likely, fix your problem. Then, if it works, go to a
console prompt, run "su -" (so that you get the correct
path statements, etc) and type "setup" and select "system
services." Then, set lpd to be started at boot-up.
        John