I think the aim is to weaken Microsoft rather than to strengthen GNU/Linux.
Microsoft loses over $US125 per XBox sold, and they hope to recoup those costs
through the sale of games. Despite this, MS have lost billions on the XBox
already. If you can buy an XBox, put GNU/Linux on it and run any software you
want, there would be no reason to buy games from MS and they'd lose even more
money. XBox sales will probably go up since software can now be run freely on
it, which will make things even worse for MS. With MS severely weakened, it will
be easier for alternate technologies and companies to mount a decent challenge
to MS in _all_ its markets (not just OSs).

The XBox is MS's greatest weak spot. Exploiting it is IMHO the best way to
topple the giant.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                        There's no place like ~