On Monday 15 July 2002 11:26 am, Alastair Scott wrote:
> On Sunday 14 July 2002 2:08 am, magnet wrote:
> > If you are ever in West Thurrock, Essex somewhere near the PCWorld
> > store [M$World] please take the time to pop in to chat with their
> > upgrade assistant and confirm that "no... you cant play Linux on an
> > X-Box or PS2, altho you can get a high-score on "uptime". Trust me,
> > she will ask if the game "Uptime" can run on an X-box or PS2! *sigh*
> >
> > All I went in for was to ask if a particular gfx card had linux
> > support (I had nothing better to do), and yes, you guessed, no-one in
> > the whole store could answer. ;-)
>
> One for the non-British list members :P
>
> Out of interest (as some slashdot and kuro5hin items are difficult to
> understand otherwise) ... which US computer stores are equivalent to PC
> World?
>
> At PCW employees only know, at maximum, about what's physically there on
> the shelves, extended warranties are pushed, you pay the full
> manufacturer's price unless someone's feeling generous, attempts at
> haggling are met with the Stare of Death and (as noted) PCW is a
> Microsoft fiefdom. The only good thing is that they usually have an
> excellent stock of Belkin cables, including obscure ones.
>
> Alastair

Alastair:
Large bodies of water don't seem to make any difference -- most of them here
are idiots, too. Say "Linux" and they get the panicked look of a deer
standing in the middle of the road, or else they edge towards a phone so that
they can dial 911 to report an evil terrorist hacker on the premises. I did
get lucky once at a local store when I was buying the guts of this system --
the clerk was doing graduate work at NCSU in Computer Science, and was a
long-time Debian guy. He gave me some good advice, and even sent me a couple
of followup e-mails. Sadly, he has soon afterwards completed his degree
and moved on to much bigger and better things, so it's back to the blank
stare/panic response.

As for the original post: Could we cut out this emphasis on uptime? It's a
sensitive subject for us older guys.

-- cmg