On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:22, Glenn wrote:
> Please pardon what is probably a FAQ, but I've been running Mandrake 8.2
> for all of about 10 hours or so, and my *nix experience is purely as a
> command line user about 8 years ago on a dumb terminal.   Can anybody point
> me to a "dummy's guide to distributed net client installation".
>
> I gather I'm supposed to go to a command line where I am to type "dnetc
> -install" (to run it as a hidden service).  I walk my way down to the dnetc
> directory, which contains my client files, in the Konsole.  An "ls" confirms
> that the executable is there.  However, when I type the command, I get a
> "command not found" error.  Anything in here sound like a
> newbie-knucklehead trick?
>
> Glenn

I'll give it a crack Glenn.

To make an executable run you need to check the user has permission to run it
like so.
$ cd dnetc
$ ls -l
A short example from my home directory.
[michael@tirnanog michael]$ ls -l
-rwx------    1 michael  michael       121 Jun  3 22:42 freeciv*
-rw-rw-r--    1 michael  michael       812 Jun 19 11:49 log.txt
See the x in the permissions of the file freeciv (and not for log.txt).
$ man chmod
for details of how to set this.

The current directory (folder if you are still thinking in Windows speak) is
not in the path statement for security reasons.
$ echo $PATH
So to run an executable use:
$ ./program
The dot (.) represents the current directory (not a nipple). The slash (/)
specifies inside the aforementioned directory. And program is the name of the
executable.
Thus for my freeciv example above:
$ ./freeciv would run it.

Hope that helps.