Hope this is a simple question (sometimes seems nothing in Linux ever
is)?  How do you change and/or resize the fonts used on the Gnome desktop?
I'm running Mandrake 8.2.  I tried drakfont and it talked about installing
fonts, but it's not clear to me if *installing* a font is the same as
*using* it, or just makes it available.  I tried Gnome Control Center >
System > Font.  Up popped the 0.11.0 prerelease of the Ximian Setup Tools,
telling me the program might have "serious bugs" that might render my
computer "PRACTICALLY USELESS" (shudder).  So I clicked on "ok" and
another window popped up telling me that "the platform you are running
is not supported", although I could click on one of the listed supported
platforms if I was sure mine worked the same way.  Feeling brave, I
click on "Linux Mandrake 8.0 Traktopel".  Bingo!  I get a screen with
a list of fonts and sizes -- apparently.  Problem is, I select something
and the "apply" box remains greyed out.  So I click on "Add font" and
up pops a "Select file or dir" box.  Now, I would have THOUGHT that the
fonts listed were in the path or in some sense available to be selected,
as is, but maybe I'm guilty of having a windows mindset.  So what do
I do now?  Do I comb through the fonts directories until I find what I
*think* is *maybe* the font and size I've selected?  Or is it not that
"simple"?  I would be happy to RTFM if I knew which effin manual would
lead me in the smallest circle.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale Huckeby