How can I get CD Player to work?

Got the following error message:
" CDROM read or access error (or no audio disc in drive).
" Please make sure you have access permissions to
" /dev/cdrom

There is a music CD in the CD drive
There is no file /dev/cdrom file on my system,
but I do have a Sony CD-RW and I can mount and umount,
read and write to it.

Also tried XMMS but can't play a music CD on it either,
and cannot find any help-button on the control window
that XMMS starts.  The XMMS control window image
is way too tiny to read, anyway.

Also, how does one access this list's archives?
I've saved about a thousand messages in my Kmail Linux folder,
but can't find any on CD Player.

joe