Thanks one and all for your help.

I discovered the root ;-) of my problems.  Turns out that a previous
installation of OO build 641 had left .sversionrc in the user's home
directory.  (Strange that it wasn't in an OO subdirectory, however.)
Anyway...deleted it and ran ./setup from the /opt/OpenOffice.org1.0/program
directory.  Everything worked as advertised thereafter.

BTW, detailed installation directions (in english) can be found at:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/setup_guide/en/ooo_setup_english.pdf.

Paul