I don't know if it will help but maybe try running your third hard drive
as the seconday master and the cd as the secondary slave.  That works on
my system here.  I have 3 harddrives, 4G, 8G and 11G respectively.
Except for what I need to boot Linux, which resides low on my primary
master, the rest resides in various partions on my primary slave.

Ken Wilson
First Law of Optimization: The speed of a nonworking program is
irrelevant
(Steve Heller, 'Efficient C/C++ Programming')