eric jackson wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I suspect I really messed things up yesterday!
>
>I ran Norton's Disk Doctor's Scan Disk program on the drive where I have my
>Linux set-up. I didn't really intend on doing that. I was just thinking
>about defraging my Windows stuff. It didn't occur to me that it would affect
>my Linux set-up. My Windows stuff appears to be okay.
>
>I get this error message when I try to boot Mandrake 8.2:
>
>Ext3-fs- unable to read superblock
>mount: error 22 mounting Ext3 flags noatime
>well, retrying without the options flags
>(a repeat of line 1)
>(a repeat of line 2 without the words flags noatime)
>well, retrying read only without any flags
>(a repeat of line 1)
>(a repeat of line 2 without the words flags noatime)
>pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed :2
>kernel panic: no init found. try passing inits option to kernel
>
>In Windows, Norton Disk Doctor wanted to rebuild the boot table but it does
>that by searching for extended Dos partitions. I told it to leave my drive
>alone. I figured I'd ask here for advice first!
>
>Eric

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Drop in your CD#1 install and hit F1 at the splash screen then type

rescue

and try re-running LILO.

It appears that Norton did something to the pointer in the MBR

It may also have renumbered partitions which has catastrophic effects on
linux installs.  I just discovered that XP installation CAN and WILL
renumber partitions and wreck a working linux system

So if rerunning LILO from rescue does not do the trick a fresh install
may be necessary  This could happen if the partitions were renumbered so
that say /dev/hda7 was pointing at / and now points at the swap
partition or something similar...

Civileme