Title: RE: [newbie] Problems Installing New Vid Card
What irritates me is Nvidia specifically says they support linux but they won't show me how to make the card work with linux.  Is that not irritating or what.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 10:24 AM
Subject: RE: [newbie] Problems Installing New Vid Card

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Metamorphysical
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 9:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ok,  I have given up. I have reformatted and reinstalled mandrake 8.2  The
Geforce card is too new to be installed at the reinstall.  now how do I
install the rpms?
Simple as possible please.  I am stupid.

Sincerely,

STUPID!

Sorry, by definition anyone who is intelligent enough to migrate to Mandrake-Linux can not be
stupid, therefore you are not stupid.

Now, the easiest way to install the RPMs is:

1. open konqueror by clicking on the home icon on your desk top.
2. find the downloaded rpms files
3. copy both files to a new folder
4. open a terminal and type "su" and then the root password without the quotes.
5. type cd folderwiththenvidiafile.name
6. type "urpmi *.rpm"  without the quotes
7. the rpms will be installed or dependencies will be listed.
8. open a text editor, I like gedit. Navigate to /etc/x11/xf86config-4 and then do the changes as
        mandated i.e.  add  "Load       "glx" " and change "nv" to "nvidia" as indicated by the instructions
from the Nvidia site below :  http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-2960/README.txt

If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

        Driver "nv"
    (or Driver "vesa")

with

        Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

        Load   "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

        Load  "dri"
        Load  "GLcore"

if they exist.  There are also numerous options that can be added to
the XF86Config file to fine-tune the NVIDIA XFree86 driver.  Please see
Appendix D for a complete list of these options.