Title: RE: [newbie] Problems Installing New Vid Card

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Metamorphysical
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 9:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Problems Installing New Vid Card

Ok,  I have given up. I have reformatted and reinstalled mandrake 8.2  The
Geforce card is too new to be installed at the reinstall.  now how do I
install the rpms?
Simple as possible please.  I am stupid.

Sincerely,

STUPID!

Sorry, by definition anyone who is intelligent enough to migrate to Mandrake-Linux can not be
stupid, therefore you are not stupid.

Now, the easiest way to install the RPMs is:

1. open konqueror by clicking on the home icon on your desk top.
2. find the downloaded rpms files
3. copy both files to a new folder
4. open a terminal and type "su" and then the root password without the quotes.
5. type cd folderwiththenvidiafile.name
6. type "urpmi *.rpm"  without the quotes
7. the rpms will be installed or dependencies will be listed.
8. open a text editor, I like gedit. Navigate to /etc/x11/xf86config-4 and then do the changes as
        mandated i.e.  add  "Load       "glx" " and change "nv" to "nvidia" as indicated by the instructions
from the Nvidia site below :  http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-2960/README.txt

If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

        Driver "nv"
    (or Driver "vesa")

with

        Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

        Load   "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

        Load  "dri"
        Load  "GLcore"

if they exist.  There are also numerous options that can be added to
the XF86Config file to fine-tune the NVIDIA XFree86 driver.  Please see
Appendix D for a complete list of these options.