On Tuesday 23 July 2002 21:59, Warren Post wrote:
> I have a U.S. English keyboard, but as I sometimes write in Spanish I
> often need letters with diacritical marks (accents). In Windows this is
> achived through the use of alt codes: Alt+164, for example, gives the
> letter n with a tilde on top (ñ). Are there similar shortcuts for Linux?
>
> Warren
Can't you just setup a Spanish keyboard?
If you are using KDE, it's trivial to set it up and switch between 2
keyboard layouts:
KDE Control center-> Peripherals->Keyboard->Layout
Mark your keyboards in the "Additional Layouts" section and once you've hit
the apply button, you should see a keyboard switch icon in the taskbar.
You can switch by clicking on that icon, by right clicking on it, or by
hitting alt+ctrl+k.

Once you have set this up and are used to alt+ctrl+k to cycle through the
keyboard layouts (I use U.S., Icelandic and Norwegian), you'll not want to
type the "Alt+164" keystrokes again :-)

I hope this solves your problem,

Narfi.
ps. Of course, if you're not using KDE, then I'm afraid I can't help you.