Here's a recent response from WD concerning their drives and Linux or UNIX.
Take it for what it's worth.

--
Jonathan Dlouhy
Tuesday, July 24, 2002
Registered Linux user #264482      Powered by Mandrake Linux 8.1

Email Subject - Brief Description (100 chars max)
usingWDharddriveswithUNIXorLinux

Discussion Thread
Response (Barb G) - 07/23/2002 07:58 AM
Greetings Jonathan,

Thank you for your email.

We have no issues with Western Digital drives being installed with Linux or
 Unix.  If you have more detailed information on specific issues, I would
 be happy to address them.  Or, if you can provide the web site where these
 issues are being discussed we can address them to the customer.  If your
 friends are having issues with a drive they should be contacting our
 technical support desk, or test the drive with our utilities.

We do not warranty a drive based on the operating system used.  Western
 Digital will honor the warranty on any drive in the event of a drive
 failure, as long as the drive is in warranty.  If the drive carry’s no
 warranty, or the warranty has expired, we cannot replace the drive.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Barb G
Western Digital Customer Service and Support
Customer (Jonathan Dlouhy) - 07/21/2002 08:38 PM

Otherthanthefactthatyoudon'tsupportUNIXorLinuxwiththedisksoftwareyouprovide
,isthereanyreasonyourdrivescan'torshouldn'tbeusedwiththeseoperatingsystems?
IhavealwaysusedWDharddrivesforallvariationsofWindowsaswellasmanydistributio
nsofLinuxwithnoproblem.ThereisquiteadebategoingintheLinux-Mandrakecommunity
claimingthatWDdrivesarenotsupportedwithLinuxandifthedrivefailswhileusingitW
Dwon'thonorthewarrantee?Isthistrueornot?You'regettingslammedprettyhardthese
daysandifit'sunfoundedIwouldliketoclarifyyourpositiontomyLinuxcolleagues.Th
anks!