-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [newbie] Re: XDisplay Screen Settings
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:27:04 +0100
From: John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Derek Jennings wrote:

>SNIP
>

>># **********************************************************************
>># Monitor section
>># **********************************************************************
>>
>># Any number of monitor sections may be present
>>
>>Section "Monitor"
>>    Identifier "Generic|High Frequency SVGA, 1024x768 at 70 Hz"
>>    VendorName "Unknown"
>>    ModelName  "Unknown"
>># HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
>># HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
>># comma separated list of ranges of values.
>># NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
>># USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
>>   HorizSync  31.5-57.0
>># VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
>># VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
>># comma separated list of ranges of values.
>># NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
>># USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
>>   VertRefresh 50-90
>>

>SNIP
>
>Here is something interesting.  You have declared your monitor to have a
>maximum resolution of 1024x768 at 70Hz
>Unless you have a really crummy Monitor then you have the wrong monitor
>selected.
>
>Just run the Video setup in Mandrake Control Centre and select a different
>monitor. Selecting a different monitor will change the vertical and
>horizontal scan refresh frequencies shown above
>If your monitor is not shown, then select a Generic one, but check that the
>scan refresh frequencies are within the specifications in your monitors
>handbook.
>

>SNIP
>

>># **********************************************************************
>># Screen sections
>># **********************************************************************
>>

>>Section "Screen"
>>    Identifier "screen1"
>>    Device      "NVIDIA GeForce3 (generic)"
>>    Monitor     "Generic|High Frequency SVGA, 1024x768 at 70 Hz"
>>    DefaultColorDepth 24
>>    Subsection "Display"
>>        Depth       8
>>        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x400"
>>        ViewPort    0 0
>>    EndSubsection
>>    Subsection "Display"
>>        Depth       16
>>        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>>        ViewPort    0 0
>>    EndSubsection
>>    Subsection "Display"
>>        Depth       24
>>        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>>        ViewPort    0 0
>>    EndSubsection
>>    Subsection "Display"
>>        Depth       32
>>        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>>        ViewPort    0 0
>>    EndSubsection
>>EndSection

> [...]
Oh Derek, thank you so much, up until now I simply accepted what ever
diskdrake installed automatically.

Of course It was the screen resolution, rather than drive choice.

I chose,

 generic monitor 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz,

Now it may be that the monitor is capable of a higher frequency than
60Hz, but I don't want tp get locked out, is there anyway of finding
out, I think from memory that windblows chooses 70 or 74Hz,but I cannot
quite remember, I suppose I could go back there and look, but I'm
concerned with linux here and I'm wondering if I can "test the monitor"
without getting locked out.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Later,

One problem though, now that I've changed the monitor/screen resolution my
display programmes like xine,mplayer.divx and ogilvie will not display,I
guess I've got to reset something here as well, but does this mean a
fresh new install of the rpms etc, I hope not.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]