On Sunday 21 Jul 2002 11:37 am, you wrote:
> On Sunday 21 Jul 2002 1:59 am, you wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >By now I am fairly convinced that my slow system problems are caused by
> > > yet another ooops in changing from the windows network to the linux
> > > one.
> > >
> > >When I installed I gave my machine a rather long name.  The network
> > >configuration, however, has all been done as WORKGROUP, the windows
> > > network. I realise now that although it works, to a degree, it is
> > > almost certainly the cause of the problem.
> > >
> > >I edited the hosts and smb.config files to the long name, but when I
> > > went to change the windows machines I found that it would not accept a
> > > name so long, so I now have to about turn and change everything to a
> > > shorter name (I don't want to keep WORKGROUP).
> > >
> > >The problem is, I can't find where this original name is set.  I can't
> > >believe that it can only be set at installation - everything else is
> > >accessible if you know where to look.  Can anyone point me at the
> > > relevant file, please
> > >
> > >Anne

> > >Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
> > >Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
> >
> > /etc/hosts  (for local and other )
> >
> > /etc/sysconfig/network
> >
> > You need to keep the 127.0.0.1 entries in /etc/hosts exactly as they
> > are...
> >
> > Civileme
>
> Thank you - although I had changed the computer name from the gui, the
> domain name was still set to the longer one.  I have now corrected that.
> Can you think of any other files that may have remnants of the old
> incorrect setup?
>
> Anne

Well - I have poked around every configuration file I could find, looking for
causes of the problem and found little of help but...

Suddenly I am running at speeds dimly remembered from 10 days ago.  I have no
idea what I did that sorted it, but I am *so* relieved.  I can get back to
enjoying the experience now.

Still, as the man said -

If it isn't broken you're not learning - and I have certainly learned a few
things recently :-)

Anne