On Thursday 18 Jul 2002 6:09 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 18 Jul 2002 5:24 pm, you wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 July 2002 8:15 am, Anne Wilson did speak unto the huddled
> >
>SNIP
> Could you please look over the files and tell me if any of these lines are
> likely to be the cause?  I don't want to start deleting until I know what
> the more obscure lines mean.
>
> mtab
> ---------
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

This line looks odd to me. I do not have anything like it. Anyone any idea
what it is for? (I looked it up on the web and could not understand the
explanation
http://www.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de/~rguenth/linux/binfmt_misc.html)

Also. This has nothing to do with your problem, but you appear to be using
Ext2 filesystem. This means that if you have to shutdown 'ungracefully' you
risk corrupting your filesystem resulting in a tedious fsck or worse.
Upgrading to Ext3 is real easy and will not lose your data.
I believe tune2fs will do the job for you
http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.php?t=2831&highlight=ext3

derek