On Wednesday 24 July 2002 03:21 pm, Metamorphysical wrote:
>> Have you tried at this point logging in as a user and typing startx?
>
> Yes I have.
>
> > (It is possible your system is working, but you are simply not configured

> > go into X windows)
> >

> > Does your screen ever flash and then show text saying X cannot start?
>
> It nevered flashed or flickered.  Just says X server cannot start.
>
> > derek
> >

> > P.S.  Someone told me check the XFree file to make sure it was 4.2
> > version
>
> also.  Going to try that next.

I see that you have a XF86Config.test-4 file. If you rename that file back to
XF86Config-4. You will have the file back. Also, when you edit that file,
make sure you only make these changes:

Section modules

Load    "dbe"
Load    "v4l"
Load            "glx" -- add this

--------

Under device section:

change Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia"

--------

If you have an AGP card (sorry, I haven't been following the posts. I don't
know exactly what you have) then make this modification:

under "Option   "DPMS"  "on"

add this:

Option "NvAGP" "1"

HTH,

John Drouhard

P.S. - If you've already done all this, I'm very sorry. I just started
following this post. My modifications are assuming that you have the module
"NVdriver" installed. Type modprobe NVdriver as root to start it.