On Sunday 28 Jul 2002 10:15 am, frankie wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We know that its always better to install rather then upgrade,
>
> But I get really sick of reinstalling endlessly to get the latest stuff..
> and I was thinking about that.
>
> Wouldn't it be a fantastic thing if Mandrake created an "Export system &
> user Settings" drake tool.???
>

> and a drake import settings.   this tool would go and collect settings from
> running services, users and security, and you could save the config to a
> floppy, wipe the drive, reinstall and insert the floppy and run the import
> drake, which sets it all up for you again.. (that way you get to have the
> latest config files, rather then keeping files like smb.conf and putting it
> in the next version..)
>

> what do you guys thing? is that a good idea or what?
>

> rgds
>
> Frank

Well there is already the little known drakbackup tool. It will save your /etc
and /home in incremental backups to a file system, or nfs, or ftp

It works pretty well apart from the daemon mode which has a bug.
It is on the drakxtools RPM

Having never had to use it to do a restore, I am not sure it could selectively
restore an individual config file, but being written in a scripting language,
it would not be difficult to add functionality to it.

derek