> I am trying to get my venerable Star Gemini-10X working under LM 8.1 and
> CUPS but cannot find an appropriate driver. The Gemini-10X is a 9 pin

You have one of those too ;). I got mine early on in 1984 (back then
I was using a TRS890). The printer doesn't work anymore, but IIRC, it's
pretty close to 9 pin Epsons of the era. The epson 'emulation'
(basically it's an MX-80 clone) is very close to Epson, but there are
subtle differences when using graphics -- specifically the dot widths
are spaced differently with Epson as compared to the 10X. This led me
to briefly contribute printer definition files when I was working at
Symantec back in 1986.

The printer expired long before I was introduced to Linux, but I
think yuo will have some cussess witht he Epson 9 pin drivers:
specifically 'eps9high' in GhostScript. I recommend starting
small, perhaps try printing test pages with Ghostscript using that
driver. If it works correctly, you might try CUPS with the
appropriate printer driver. You may get discernable vertical spaces
in the output using the Epson 9 pin drivers though - that's the
effect of the spacing differences in the Gemini 10X.