On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 08:29, Duke Glover wrote:
> Hello Mandrake gods,
>
> Here the problem.  I am attempting to install Mandrake 8.2 on an HP Kayak
> XM600.  Everything works fine except for one crucial piece.  I am unable to
> get the interfaces to come up (eth0 and eth1).  eth0 is an 3Com 3C905C TX
> and eth1 is a Linksys LNE100 TX.  I have used both of these cards in other
> systems so I know they work.  I have installed Mandrake 7.1 on other systems
> with these same models of cards and never had a problem.  The cards are
> detected correctly and I set them to use DHCP.  The only log entries that I
> have found that pertain to the problem simply say that eth0, and/or eth1,
> failed to receive a valid response from a dhcp server.  However, I can plug
> another system into the same interface I am using on my router for the
> system I am having problems with and I can get a dhcp address no problem.  I
> am at wits end with this system.  I have tried Mandrake 7.1 and 8.2.  All to
> no avail.  I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.  Also, I have set
> dhcpcd to run at boot.
>
> /pulling hair out now
>
> Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Duke

Duke,

Well dhcpd is for serving dhcp requests from other nodes, so that isn't
going to help here.  Have you tried setting a static address for either
card to see if at least the interface will come up?  If that works, we
will know that it's a dhcp specific issue.  If it doesn't, we'll know -
well - something else ;-)

Brian