Randy,

see below.

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    * When I run "service inetd status" I get "inetd: unrecognized
> service".
>
>    * When I run "service xinetd status" I get "xinetd (pid 411) is
> running..."

inetd is superseeded by xinetd (eXtended inetd), so one excludes the
other. everything ok here.

>    * I can confirm that pop3 is running by telneting to port 110 and
> "conversing" with it.
>
> I assume then, that pop3 must have been started by xinetd?  (or at least
> that is most likely, and that it was unlikely to have been started by
> inet)

yes to the first one...

> Continuing:
>
>    * There is no line in xinetd.conf to start pop3 like there is in
> inetd.conf.  There is a file in the directory /etc/xinetd.conf named
> ipop3 which I assume is somehow automatically initiated by xinetd or
> some mechanism like the startup files in rc.d?

exactly, it reads all the config files found in /etc/xinetd.d

>    * In that ipop3 file, there is a line "# default: on" and I'm
> assuming that is what makes the service start?

yes. You can see in the /var/log/syslog that when xinetd is started, it
loads all the config files, then disables the services not requested.

>    * When I looked at the imap file under /etc/xinetd.d, the "default
> line" said off.  I changed it to on, saved the file, and then did a
> "server xinetd restart".  I still get the same behavior on telneting in
> to port 143.
>
>    * I then did a "ps -Al | grep map" (as root) and found the imapd
> daemon.  (BTW -- what is the accepted pronunciation of daemon?)  I did
> not find anything when I did "ps -Al | grep pop".

this seems to be the problem to me. I don't have experience with imap,
but had a similar problem with proftp. proftp can run as standalone _or_
as (x)inetd service, but not both! If you start proftpd from the command
line and you also have disable=no in the corresponding xinet.d/
configuration file, it will not work. So be sure that you are not
starting imap from the rc.d, if you enable it in xinet.d

good luck.