On Friday 02 August 2002 09:58 pm, civileme wrote:
> Well, most motherboards offer two or perhaps four.  It is a motherboard
> limitation.  Mandrakesoft helped construct a supercomputing cluster with

Seems to be the general consensus on the lkml and at my job (a linux cluster
manufacturer) that without a much better bus design, multiple CPU mobos
aren't all they seem to be. The interconnects are so slow, as compared to
say, the new stuff coming out (HyperTransport, etc.) that the I/O is really
sub-standard (as compared to an Alpha 264DP, say) that having clusters of 2-4
x86 CPU mobos are preferable. This is what my company does for a
living...Linux and Tru64 rock on these combinations (except we beg for Linux
because Tru64 is hard to work with).